The earliest mention of the village comes from 1289, when it was the seat of the Mariássa family. The dominant landmark in the village was its château, built in 1643 in the Renaissance style and later rebuilt in the Rococo.
Comenius’ daughter Dorota Kristina, who married Jan Molitor, is supposedly buried in the cemetery at Markušovce. Molitor’s father was a cleric of the Brethren at Markušovce. From 1650 to 1654, when Comenius travelled in Slovakia, he stopped at Markušovce with his son-in-law – his daughter was by this time already dead.